Monday, March 3, 2014

When it rains in the desert, it pours!! In a good way :) .... March 3, 2014

3-3-2014

Hi everyone!!! I think the biggest news around here is the BEAUTIFUL rainstorm we had on Saturday! it rained and rained and rained off and on all day. We had a great time driving through the puddles!!

We didn't have very many lessons this week- it happens. but other fun stuff comes with missionary life too! I'll do that part first :)

On Saturday morning, we woke up to pouring rain! Then skipped off to see if the ward 5k was still going to happen. But God was looking out for us and the temperature was perfect! It sprinkled a little during the run and it was perfect! Except for the huge puddles we had to avoid, and the whole "running" part. But we had a good time and proudly brought up the rear! Someone was taking pictures but I don't have them and I don't think we really need to see them :) We ran through a neighborhood in the Paradise Valley area of our ward, and through the Camelback Golf Course and they had lots of birds! So that was great :) A lot of people showed up, and we are so happy that it was a hit! Now I can say that I've completed a 5K!

After the run, we went to central Scottsdale to get a hitch put on our car for a bike rack, and driving through Old Town Scottsdale we decided to stop and get lunch. It is a super crowded touristy area and we barely found a parking spot, but we got to walk around in the rain and see the real Scottsdale!


 On Sunday was the Gilbert Temple Dedication. It was broadcast to the church buildings and I am so happy that I was able to participate! We went to the session that started at noon and President Monson was there to give the dedicatory prayer. It was such an amazing thing to witness! And then walking out to our car we saw the "day after" clouds and I just had to take a picture!

 


Sunday night was a fireside where our mission president spoke, along with Pancho and Stephenie Meyer. The topic was, "Why I Believe." It was so amazing, and it had a really great turn out! no surprise though:) They are so full of the Spirit and are a great example to all of us of faith. I loved it! And yes, I especially loved being able to see so many of my friends and past companions there as well :)

For an update on the normal missionary work stuff- which is never normal!- we set up some appointments for next week, tried to see a lot of people, and met with Doina! We had her bring her Romanian copy of the Book of Mormon and her Restoration pamphlet and talked about Joseph Smith. We still can't really teach her without a translator, so she can ask questions and we can ask questions. She has to work at this caregiver home- where she also lives!- and only gets one day off a week. It's really hard for her, but we are still trying to help her the best way we can.

We are really trying to work with the ward members to get more missionary work going. We are so excited to listen to General Conference and see what else is said about missionary work! The work is so hard and tiresome and exhausting, and you don't always see the results you think you will, but I'm learning that as long as I am doing my best to serve the Lord, He accepts my offering. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and for the direction the gospel gives to us in this life. I see so many people reject it for little reasons or for misunderstandings and it upsets me! Nothing means more to me than being happy, and I KNOW that the only way to happiness in this life is by living the commandments God has given us, following His prophets, and worshiping Him each Sunday as I renew my covenants as I take the sacrament. We are so blessed, and I really can't say it enough.

I love you all so much! Keep the faith and be happy!

Love,  Sister Hailey Brown

PS- So we have this game we play in the car.... we look for out of state license plates and hit the ceiling and call it out when we see one. It is crazy how many we see! This is the place to be this time of year! Canada plates are two points- they happen a lot! And a little motorcycle plate is 3 points. We make ways to entertain ourselves :) We have fun!

Okay, bye! Love you! Drive safe! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment